13/09/2013

SDS: Collage inspirations & experiments

After Day 1 of 'Do you have a dream' (Graphics rotation) it gave me some inspiration from looking at other people's collages and so to enhance my learning I decided to use my SDS day to research other graphic artists that incorporate the use of collages into their work. This independent research will help me explore many new / existing ways of approaching collage and help me decided what kind of approach I would like to do it in.


I found these collages from online and I thought it would be a good experiment creating a collage on my laptop instead of by hand. These images is appropiate to illustrate the growth of a person by appearance and time, showing a piece of someone's past and present in one image. To respond to these images I will try to re-create it by creating my own collage.



Here I collected a range of faces from different race and ages to use as a medium to create this collage, I put all the files of the images onto Photoshop and used the select tool to select parts of each image, cut it and then placed onto the face and as I continue this process, I created a new face that still had a structure of a jaw line, neck, ears etc, I tried to make it flow as nicely as possible and I think it was successful. To further enhance my work I added a background and played around with the blending options.

This is another way of using materials to manipulate the face, it reminds me of my shredded experiment in my collage and I really like the outcome of this piece. I found it on Google and in my opinion it represents looking deeper into someone's eyes to tell a story and express their inner thoughts and feelings, the cut up strips can be associated with the saying 'read in between the lines' in a visual and textural way. The filter used gives of a vintage aura which could be used to represent aging and the past.

[in process]
The original image I am going to manipulate onto Photoshop

Since the eyes were really wide I repeated it so it will conceal the white remaining spaces.

This is the final outcome of my manipulation, I think it works well because it has the billboard effect where people see a different image at different angles but since this is 2D, it is confusing to try to fit the pieces together, I think that I should of made the space of the eyes much bigger than the portrait to emphasize the sharpness of the eyes and use it as a main focus.

Working with different blending options such as Darken and Luminosity.

1 comment:

  1. I love your experiments with Photoshop and using the strip techniques, and the way that you have used one image repeated to collage with its self. I think the outcomes are really interesting especially as you can see the different Photoshop manipulation techniques you have used. I also like the collages made up of many different faces and features, especially when you had added a background and worked into it more.

    ReplyDelete