12/09/2013

Day 2: Graphics

Day 2 of the graphics rotation was mainly focused on creating and developing our own text and typography, I was able to use a variety of materials and colours to experiment different styles. In my sketchbook I created unique fonts for each letter and played around with the equipment I had on me, here is a list of equipment I used for this;-
  •  masking tape
  • biro
  • coloured fineliner
  • coloured felt tip pens
  • coloured paper
  • pencil
  • magazines
Although I personally don't like it, I did work out of my comfort zone and it's good to see some uniqueness in each letter, I particularly like the 'e' style and decided to use it in all letters.



 
This is the process of the letters I have done so far with the style of characteristics and life qualities in each letter, these ideas is made out of imagination and being creative using the structure to its advantage. I think this typography fits well with children as it looks friendly and fun, I used coloured fineliners to add colour simply by drawing lines and cross hatching to add subtle tone.
Here is a close up of the individual letters, some resemble animals and some is simply random and fun to look at. During my experience creating this type face, it was time consuming because of the cross hatching plus it was difficult to come up with ideas for all twenty six letters including numbers.

After creating my own typography I had to come up with a phrase / word that is significant to me or something I like to use as motivation, with that I had to come up with a typography to illustrate it. I chosen 'I can do it' because at times I am never fully confident with myself and have many doubts when I face problems in my life. The phrase is basic but it encourages me to have a go and have confidence in myself. I used fineliner to create fine lines and I drawn some fireworks because it's uplifting and positive.




During my SDS I researched some fonts on the site www.dafont.com and collected some fonts that I like personally and some for inspirational purposes, I tried to gather a range in terms of style and gather to widen my imagination. Here is a few fonts I collected; -


I personally like these three different fonts above because it's simply manipulating the lines to create individual letters, it's all very modern and contemporary and I can imagine these using used for a clothing line or some sort of promotion purposes.
Here is some screen shots of the font samples I found inspiration when I was creating my own as a response.

This is my response by creating my own fonts and trying out fonts I won't normally do, the aim was to try as much as possible and also fill up the spaces to make it seem the words will fall out since my sketchbook is open. I done a double page dedicated to typography and I am pleased with the outcome because now I have enhanced my way of thinking and gave me new and exciting ideas.
This is a clearer image of both pages that I done during SDS, I used mainly pencil and two coloured fineliner as I can easily correct any mistakes and I thought a theme of grey, blue and brown is much better to view overall then to have too much colours overpowering the work. The phrases / words I used for this was song titles on my itunes since it's quicker then to come up with random words to write.









1 comment:

  1. The use of typography and experimentation clearly shows how intrested you are in this pathway. The only improvement is to add more vibrant colours to your double page spread.

    ReplyDelete