19/04/2014

fmp week 3

{14/04/14 - 18/04/14}

Day 1: After visiting the Aesop store I played around with felt tip pens and went through the making progress of the type and layout the brand chose for their packaging. It give me a closer connection between the type and me creating these by hand, finding out that layout is inportant when working with the dimensions of the box itself. I think this idea will help me lessen up and have the idea of playfulness throughout my project because there will be things unexpected that I will surprising like, I am greatful I worked on this. Other than type I looked at the colours that Aesop used (yellow, red, blue, green and black) I think these colours are neutral colours in the aspects of generalising and so both women and men can purchase it, although blue is generally used on male products I think a range of colour will have the balance between it.

I went into detail about the product packaging because it was unusual by the way it had a warm tint glass container with linear text throughout the label, it reminds me of medicine which could be their approach to seem healing and improve within. I like how each product is in a different size and shape and Andrew Osman mentioned how it resembles a family due to the arrangement of it which I agree. Family is associated to something warm and safe and so it can be a good way to protray products by arrangements.

Day 2: I visited Muji in Covent Garden to look at how they branded themselves and I am aware they have a range of containers in travel sets and so from this I can perhaps use it as prototyping or even my final outcome. On the window display it showed the theme of 'travel' to promote various products including the containers, showing Muji is the right place to offer neccessities like clothes, luggage etc. I like how it shows these products into one and the idea flows well, the background is influenced by the airport arrival / departure board and it is quite fitting. Even the sale sign is shape of a piece of luggage and so Muji has thought through a lot of things while creating this imagery.

Muji offers a variety of containers with different shapes, sizes, finishes and openings and I think having a mixture of these factors will re-create the idea of the 'family' products, so although all the products is similiar, it isn't entirely the same. I am not fond with the plastic pouches so I won't be using that but it is something I will definitely use in the future.

Day 3: I visited The Hunterian Museum which allowed me to look at skin in a different perspective and focus on topics that relate to it, I came across a section about 'The birth of plastic surgery' and although it is unneccessary for my project, I can look at the history and understand how skin works with skin grafting and in a medical form. Plastic surgery at the time was used for wars and soldiers having distorted faces because of it but so much as changed over the years, the purposes of it is different and there are larger amount of proceduces people can undergo. Although the pure purpose to have plastic surgery is for medical reasons but nowadays it is for cosmestic or correction reasons.
There were two cases that undergo plastic surgery to correct their faces because of the war, Private George Stone and Sergeant Sidney Beldam. Although my images isn't clear, I read into how the proceduce worked and provided sketches and images of before and after shots. It truely shows how this has changed the world and moulded it to become like now.
I thought I would use the pen tool to re-create the before and after shots to make it more clear on the dramatic change.
During my Crit with Andy, he felt that there is good research here and he liked how I looked into different research regards to skin, he mention to see the Hunterian Museum to see the history behind skin as an organ and look at ways to prototype and look at artist research in the future. But I am pleased with the crit and I am on task based on my project plan also.

No comments:

Post a Comment