03/05/2014

fmp week 5

{28/04/14 - 02/05/14}
Day 1: Now that I have finalised the basis of my logo, I am now able to develop it further with colour by changing two elements;- the logo and the background. But I wanted to establish what kinds of natural elements I am putting into my basis cream for different skin types, because I wanted to have each skin type cream to have a individual identity yet still be known is 'Lien. I think having a small range of colour within the brand will help customers recognise the skin types easier. So once pin-point the colour palette for each skin type, I can develop even further inspired by the aspects of the natural elements. So I reseached a selective amount of which natural ingredients is good for each skin type, here is my selection; -

DRY SKIN - olive oil / avocado / honey
OILY SKIN - tea tree / milk / oatmeal
NORMAL SKIN - aloe vera / cucumber / rosemary
SENSITIVE SKIN - mineral oil / yogurt / honey

I narrowed down for what I can work with and used water colour to illustrate the range I can use.

Now I am able to know what colour ranges I can work inbetween, I experimented with black, grey, dark blue, dark green and white for the logo bases. I think using tones is an easy option but it does match well with any colour and also a neutral colour for both men and women. But as I experimented, I noticed that some colour combinations doesn't and does work and it was an important stage for me. In the end I felt the original black and white logo will be the main logo for major advertisements etc, but I will select some colour combinations to represent each skin type range.

I selected these as my final colour combinations to represent each skin type, I think all the colours here is very neutral to both men and women. I didn't think having the mixture of white and dark grey logo to necessary divide the genders but it was for basis of having variety other than just all white logo. I placed the logo into a circle because it ties in the idea of connection and it looks well presented, it reminds me of stamps and I quite like that thought.

BROWN - oily skin
I thought brown was a suitable colour for oily skin because it was inspired by the colour of oatmeal, I didn't want to use a strong brown as I didn't want it to overpower the brand and I didn't want people assuming it's a mud mask or cream.

YELLOW - sensitive skin
The colour yellow is inspired by mineral oil and honey, these ingredients lock in moisture and has healing proporties and so it will reduce the irritations and redness. This shade of yellow is slightly muted to match with the previous colour.

GREEN - dry skin
Green protrays the colour of olive oil and avocado, similiar to sensitive skin, these ingredients ngredients lock in moisture and soothes skin plus a rich source of vitamins and lecthin.

BLUE - normal skin
I thought blue would be a good way to protray normal skin because it is calming in a sense of the texture of the skin, and not having problematic areas compared to the other skin types.

Day 2: I went to Paperchase and didn't expect something perfect for my project, small glass jars. It was an unplanned purchase but I like the way it's a screw top and includes string and a little tag, it shows the little touches of something personal and special so it was something I had to buy. I didn't want to use all of them because I want to use different shapes and sizes to create the imagery of a 'family product' and creating different products but also customers can have the choice to pick what container they prefer.
I revisited Muji in Covent Garden to purchase some of the travel set and containers it offered. The selection I picked does resemble a 'family' and it offers different openings to get the product out and different finishes (clear and frosted), although these containers is plastic, I think it is important to mix materials for it's purpose e.g. plastic to enforce pressure to squeeze out of the tube. Both Paperchase and Muji containers is different, I will experiment and prototype what works and what doesn't work.
Day 3: SOMERSET HOUSE (PICK ME UP EXHIBITION)
"Now in its fifth year, the UK’s original contemporary graphic arts festival Pick Me Up showcases graphic art in all its forms. Aimed at being the antithesis of a traditional art fair, Pick Me Up is a fun and informal festival featuring quirky studio spaces in which to shop for affordable artwork from the great and good of graphic arts, and a daily, lively line-up of events which encourage both budding and bonafide artists of all ages to get involved. Pick Me Up 2014 promises to be bigger and better than ever with more late nights and an even wider range of illustration and design represented, from fashion and architecture to comic books and album covers.

Cutting-edge collectives and contemporary graphic art galleries will each curate a customised studio space  where they will present a bountiful body of new and existing work, offering visitors a chance to experience a behind-the-scenes studio atmosphere."


LETTERPROEFTUIN
"Letterproeftuin is a traveling open-source designstudio. A neo-craft workshop that emphasizes the creative process and exhibits its results. It is an counter-action to the fast nowaday design tools and an invitation for designers to get their hands dirty in order to inspire, discuss and share knowledge. Based on a passion for printmaking we combine craftsmanship and technology with inspiration, collaboration, hard work and fun."

I was inspired by the screen printed cards they had on display because it is a very easy process and gives an authenic and cute outcome, it gives off the homemade vibe and so I was excited to give this a try. Although I did have some experience with screen printing during Secondary school and College, I didn't have any access to screen printer. To overcome this problem, I will use stamps to re-create the outcome of one. During a summer course at Camberwell in 2010 or 2011, I am familiar with stamping by carving the design onto a flat rubber and use a thin layer of acrylic paint over.
L'OCCITANE
During my spare time I went to St. Pancras Station, I came across this display of L'Occitane products in a clear box and also visited the store. I came here for packaging idea purposes and look at the packaging and also label and type placements too. With the white plastic wrap and purple ribbon, it is very suitable for gifts. The clear plastic enables people to see what products is placed inside.
The display outside showed a huge contrast from before and I quite like the difference between the two. The display showed three different ranges that share the same yellow mustard box with a photographic image lid. The first range on the left (olive green) gives the impression of having oil or herbs elements in the products because of the dark green and the leaf design on the labels, packaging and embross in the glass container. I like how it shows a mixture of shapes and containers and placed in a shape of a triangle to show the height differences. The yellow mustard range matches well with the boxes and all the containers have the same colour, which people aren't able to see the actual product inside. The silver lid really ties in the luxury feel and the curved edges makes it look elegant and fresh. The last range is in a metalic colour the runs through all the products with hints of lavender purple. These ranges is placed on the boxes in three different levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment