09/11/2013

project 3: manifesto

{04/11/13 - 08/11/13}

DAY 1
Now that everyone has completed their short films and posters for project one, it's now time to start with project three which is creating a personal manifesto. At first I was puzzled to what a manifesto was, so I researched some definition and photo copy some examples from the graphics booklet.


The critics started after break where each group was with  a member where they look at our individual poster and the group's short film, whilst other group was in the critic, the rest continued to plan our manifesto and do further research. So while my group was in the critic we looked at the short film and both Andrews thought it worked well in terms of following our original plan and how it fits well with type and our interpetation of graffiti. However we did receive some negatuve feedback by saying how it can be repetitive and predictable, how the video zooms in and out of the tube map showing the different places. Other than that, they were pleased with the outcome and how it showed our teamwork as a group and how we was in the same page of thinking.

Then we talked about our indiviual posters and our role involvement to the short film, it was very interesting listening to everyone's explanation behind their posters and how it relates to the short film. The feedback given to everyone from both Andrew's really opened my mind as they suggested ways to improve the posters and how it could of done better, I strongely agree on their input and it was a way I didn't think of. For my poster Andrew commented that he really liked my sentence on my poster "the freedom of type, movement and expression" which was place below the title, he liked how it sounded poetic and made him curious and alert of what the film might be. It was a surprising comment but I am please it created that affect, however he suggested that the black stroke could be removed, personally I thought it that people wouldn't able to read it well without but I only assume and so next time I will try and experiment. Andrew also said how I could play about the images instead of a collective background, how perhaps each letter could have graffiti zoomed in or even change the text to black and white to show contrast. There was a comment where the background was like tracing paper and showing incertainty of whether to have the collage or not, I mainly did this to make the title appear vivid. So now I will take these suggestions in hand and will use these feedback as ways to improve and have a final outcome.
So I went back to further enhance my freedom poster following the feedback from my crit, personally I think it looks after than before by being able to clearly see the word 'freedom'. The blend of the type and the graffiti shows a visual connect by combining both elements together, I've kept the quote at the directly underneath the title.

After the critic I continued to expand my learning of manifesto and so I find manifestos online that caught my eye and annotated their characteristics and layout. It gave me some ideas in terms of layout and colour, some used repetition and some used a personal approach by using first person.

DAY 2
To generate ideas of what my personal manifesto will be, I brainstorm possible topics that relate to me (such as culture, style, experience etc) from this I wanted to explore memories. Memories is something I cherish and something I like to think of when I'm in a bad moob, it affects me as some things isn't the same anymore. So I narrowed it down and did a brainstorm of memories I had with all my family members (mum, dad, brother and my cousins) because they were who I was very close to when I was young.

At first it was difficult for me to translate use my memories onto my manifesto because it wouldn't make sense writing my own personal memories and no one relating to it. With help from Andy I could use these memories and reflect on what I have learnt from these experiences and use these quotes for my manifesto.


Here is some statements that I came up with, it is generic and so it can relate to everyone either way. Now I have statements that I can use for my manifesto, all I have to do is work with layouts and a visual of my manifesto.

 During the end of day 2, everyone had to display their brainstorm / initial idea on the wall to show the different approaches and learn each other's manifesto and question it. Personally I thought it was a good chance to see people's style of working and also also given me some ideas for my own.

DAY 3
During SDS and the morning portion of day 3, I experimented with type and colour because it's also an important factor in manifestos. I used a range of materials such as felt tip pens, biro and ink pens. At this point I was weary and unsure of what I want my manifesto to look like so I continued to experiment until I chosen the one to use. I created different types where it looks flowy and doesn't follow a gird format and 'reaches out' and some type is very constructed and linear. I wanted to be open with type to have the choice to use for the appropirate layout.


I used the medium of coloured markers and I like the overlapping effect where it shows a fusion of to colours, so I played around with the thin and thick tips and created strokes and random retangles. 

Since these statements is from my childhood and memories I wanted to reflect that mindset while I was the age of when I was learning shapes and colours and how my mind was chaotic and curious. I experimented by trying different colour combinations and different types on top. I really liked the small statements on the strokes and lines create to  let the viewers come closer and take a look of these statements.

This is my final outcome of my manifesto, it has a mixture of different shades of green with yellow, pink and dark blue. The little statements is align on top of the exisiting strokes and rectangles, following around the edges and placed upside down and side ways.

Every group had their critics during the day 3 and Andy individually looked through my groups sketchbook, he comment on my sketchbook about how he liked how I have used colour into my work but suggested to work in a smaller scale to generate more ideas and record it on to our sketchbook quicker, I think it was a good point to make and I will keep that in mind. Also he liked how my sketchbook was engaging and exploring different types of styles and suggested I could create three of four outcomes of my manifestos but focus on being selective.

No comments:

Post a Comment